Tuesday 19 December 2017

DAY 9: It Requires Discipline and Consistency

DAY 9: It Requires Discipline and Consistency

I am coming into my fifth month of working as a support worker for people with a disability and mental health condition. In my 5 months, I've learned how challenging this industry is. I was thrown into the deep end when I first entered this line of work. I studied for 5 months and none of the textbooks I read prepared me for the real world. What I have learned in this line of work I probably would not learn anywhere else. I've enjoyed the challenges that I have faced. Some of these challenges have been confronting and have lifted the rug right from under my feet, lol. But in saying that, I've had good times in my job too. I seem to emphasise on the bads because the bad experiences tend to stand out the most. Those experiences have sent shockwaves, but I do understand that it is the way I react to them. Not that I am blaming myself here, but I can tell at times that if I am non-reactive, skilled in the areas I need to be, then this job isn't so bad. The bads are no longer the bads if I know how to direct the situations and what comes up within me as the reactions I have to the problem, event/situations. It makes life as a support worker easier if one is non-reactive, levels up in particular skills and remains on the toes. Because the clients will keep a support worker on their toes no matter what. I've learned to not let my guard down in this line of work. Some clients I am able to let my guards down slightly, but not all the way. In this line of work, it is best to trust one's own 'knowing of how to work with clients' and have fun along the way. It say this work is unlike any other. It's a world of its own like all others. In this job you put your entire self into it because of the amount of skills it requires and the focus it requires. A support worker has to clean, cook, observe, recognise, monitor the client for medical professionals, watch to see if clients go to the toilet {depending on condition of client}, has to know how to block punches, know the clients movements {depending on the client} and much, much more. A support worker's job is a serious one and a fun one at the same time. The challenges make it fun.. it's just all about the skills and the way one works with the clients. It's a bit like a chess game at times. It's very mental in the stages of building a good rapport, a game of 'how to keep yourself safe, but how to assert yourself, it's a very interest job and it isn't for the faint-hearted. It is definitely for those who want a challenge.

This job has helped me identify points about me that needs changing. Although I enjoy the challenge, I do find myself reacting to each challenge that comes up in my job. I do breathe away the reactions and place some forgiveness, but I am still not as disciplined or good with the tools as I'd like to be. I am learning as I go in life and it does take a great deal of persistence and consistency with the breath and letting go. One that I would need to master to be the best I can be.


I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to be not be disciplined with the tools when I am working.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not see/realise/understand that I can be/become disciplined with the tools.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to lack confidence in me being/becoming disciplined with the desteni tools each time that I fall and forget to apply.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to be very hard on myself for forgetting and falling

I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to see/realise/understand that I would not fall or forget if I were to consistently apply the tools real time.

I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to see/realise/understand the importance of the desteni tools.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear becoming more disciplined and consistent with tools

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to judge myself as weird if I choose to be disciplined and consistent with the tools and using my structure for assistance/support.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to have not used the tools effectively

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not see/realise/understand that the tools do come first in my life because they assist/support me in every way.


I commit myself to be/become more disciplined and consistent with Desteni tools.

I commit myself to use the tools at work.

I commit myself to use my structure to help me to be disciplined and consistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment