Sunday 10 December 2017

DAY 4: Why Do I Have To Clean

Support Worker's Journey To Life

DAY 4: Why Do I Have To Clean

One of the jobs as a support worker is to help clean the client's home. The amount of cleaning we do depends on the clients capabilities. If they're unable to move themselves like able-bodied people are, then the support worker does all the cleaning for the client. What had come up within me yesterday to cleaning someone's house was the want to not have to clean. It came up as back chat in the process of sweeping kitchen floors of a house that seemed to have been neglected for awhile.

The back chat more specifically was "why do I have to do this" and "it's just going to be a mess again" along with a want, a pull to go interact with my client and sit down. Support workers have a set amount of hours in the client's homes. In that time we are required to use some of those hours to clean.

I did question "if we do not clean then who will?" and it does assist/support the client when they live in a neat &a tidy clean home. It helps everyone to be organised and less cluttered. Things are in their rightful places, everyone is on board with where everything is and the client is less reactive when the mess is out of the way. It helps a great deal. We all like a clean home and to look at it this way, most of my clients didn't ask to be the way they are. If the high needs clients had a choice, I'm sure they would want to clean for themselves. But because of their condition, they cannot.

So I realise that being a support work is about doing the best we can to help improve our clients wellbeing and help those who cannot help themselves as much as they'd like too.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to backchat about having to clean a house the had mould, vomit, and other bodily fluids.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to backchat about cleaning cigarette ash

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to be frustrated with other support staff for not doing a good clean job on their shift and then want to leave the state of the house the way it

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to want/desire to neglect my client because other support staff may have done so by not cleaning the mould, floors, and other rooms of the house

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel annoyed about having to clean a house that is likely to be messy again the next time I am there

I forgive myself that i have accepted and allowed myself to be annoyed about not having my own cleaning tools that I can bring to my clients homes when they're lacking tools

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel embarrassed about cleaning up vomit and other stuff that people don't want see or have a heavy reaction to/towards

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel pissed off about individuals who do not have the capabilities to look after themselves being cheated by composers and this system at large.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel pissed off about unhealthy products being sold in our system and it being consumed by clients whom I have to clean up and look after.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel hopeless as a support worker to assist/support my clients to live healthier and fulfilling lives in a system that is taking advantage of vulnerable individuals

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel hopeless in a system that doesn't really give a damn about our most vulnerable but would simply prefer to keep them at bay

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel pissed off about the most vulnerable individuals being taking advantage of by the medical fields and pharmaceutical companies.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that Australia's systems truly care for our most vulnerable.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel annoyed and crappy about having to take care of people who are the most vulnerable in a system that seems impossible to change.

I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to see/realise/understand that it is possible to change this world where all individuals lead fulfilling lives.

I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to see/realise/understand that I can assist/support my clients to lead fulfilling lives by planning out the days that they will enjoy after all the work is done in the house

When and as I see myself not wanting to clean and composing about cleaning for higher needs clients - I stop and I breathe - I realise that my client cannot clean for themselves because of their condition and I as an able-bodied person can make a difference in this persons life by making sure that household cleaning is done.

When and as I see myself feeling hopeless to assist/support my clients to live fulfilling lives in the current world system - I stop and I breathe - I realise that it is possible to make changes even on the minute levels in my life and the lives of my clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment